Skip to main content

V formation

I'm sure you've seen birds fly in "V" formation.  Know why?

The bird in front breaks the wind, and the flapping of it's wings generates an updraft for the birds behind, making it easier for them to fly. Birds rotate being the front-bird so that each can have a turn working to lead the pack, and have time to rest in the updraft of another.  Birds also have to be positioned strategically in order to gain the updraft rather than the accompanying down-draft. Their wings have to be in sync with each other, and close together.

Read about it here, if you like...
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-25736049

This week my man was a front-bird. He and I have the joy of leading worship together often, and in the days proceeding his turn leading, we feel the resistance. There is so much joy in what we do together, him as the front-bird in worship, and me close behind him- surveying the open sky before us, feeling the support and resonance of the rest of the flock flying nearby. The horizon is often bright and the freedom of a life in Christ is broad and inspiring! But there are times when there's no ignoring the resistance. Sometimes rain beats against his wings, and wind threatens to throw us off course. I admire the strength that is needed to take a turn being that front-bird. I have great respect for him as he sets and maintains each course!

If it's your season of being a front-bird, thank you for the updraft you provide for the flock.  If it's your turn to participate in the "V",  pray, pray, pray over the front-birds in your life. Pastors, elders, worship leaders, youth leaders, bible study hosts, small group leaders, quiet servants that aren't often noticed, and on it goes... a church isn't just one front-bird, there are many fronts, each providing updraft for those surrounding. Each needs the other- leaders need backup when it's time for them to rest in the updraft, as much as the "V" needs it's leaders. Also remember to position yourself to gain that updraft, and to pass it along to the next.

Isn't God's design incredible? I love how He is weaved through ALL His creation, and I love recognizing His fingerprint!

What a mighty God we serve!

Comments

  1. Awesome...Thank you..We all need each other. Love~Jack

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her exis...

Evelyn Rose

It's time to write about Evelyn Rose. We knew I was pregnant around Thanksgiving 2010 (no test, we just knew!). We waited to tell family until Christmas, and had our first Dr. appointment in January '11. In march we had an ultrasound and discovered we were having a girl! After a couple hours of high excitement and celebration over our coming baby girl, I received a phone call from our Doctor. She had hard news for me- that our little girl was very small, and her brain was not forming right. We scheduled an ultrasound with a specialist, and prayed deeply for a week, for healing. During that week I prepared myself for a miracle, and also reached a place where I was overjoyed to take care of her, regardless of her condition. I did not prepare myself to lose her. At our next appointment we met with a "genetic counselor", and I let most of what she said roll off of me, thinking it would not apply to us. We loved seeing her during the ultrasound- her feet, hands, face, eye...

Thank You

Thank you for walking alongside us, and for deeply crying out to God on our behalf. Tonight Josh and I held eachother with shaking arms, unable to breathe in our pain, with hot tears and groanings, deeper than we ever have. God is walking closely with us, teaching us, holding us. Thank you for being part of that. I can still feel little Evelyn Rose, she is still alive and moving- a continued miracle. As I sat down to pass on a little of this to some of you, here in the wee hours of the morning... in my husband's big sweatshirt, still wiping tears and snot on his sleeves (hope he doesn't mind... I'll just wash this sweatshirt before I give it back to him :) ), I had a photo file open on my desktop. I saw sweet little faces. Sweet, perfect little faces. What a joy and a privilege to raise two wild, wonderful boys. They are turning into such buddies, learning to appreciate eachother and play together instead of fighting, pushing, crying. They are innocent, energetic, curiou...