Skip to main content

Sprinkler




My baby who always sleeps well, did not sleep well. His round, sweet little body wanted to be squished up next to mine. The night was short, my dear husband worked early, and the troops have more energy than their commander.
I wanted to sink into the couch, even before coffee, and sail away to slumber for the morning. That's not practical or worth it, on a Thursday morning. The troops sense I'm dragging and they speed up. There's mess from all the fun we've had, and it brings me anxiety that threatens to overshadow the memories. I can't find my favorite nursing cover, and the beautiful baby settles in for a nap. The troops want to swim, and my head swims too- its hot already and my brain is foggy like the summer smoke that rolled in last night.
I'm supervising a dip in our cold hot tub, but my heart is pining over a school year unfinished and a home that refuses to meet my unrealistic standards of tidiness. My heart thinks an impossible move to the country would settle all my priorities into place, but my head knows better.
My eyes are pulled to the sprinkler I set that morning, staying trained to its motion as it leans one way then the other. The grass is dry and the garden still green, and suddenly I see the Lord.
In my chaos and crazy, he is that sprinkler, watering the green and the dry side by side. Quietly, back and forth it goes, steady drops of water.
He's faithful like that. He doesn't come clean my house for me or zip a lifejacket for me, or tell everyone to stop talking to me at once. He isn't a check list, a to-do list, or a task, or even in a hurry. He stays and leans back and forth quietly, sprinkling, sprinkling.
A sprinkler in the shed is really no use at all.
A sprinkler in one place leaves no balance.
A sprinkler present but disconnected brings no benefit.
He's longing for you, waiting, leaning in close. He is life like no other.

John 4:14 (ESV)
14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.[a] The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her exis...

Evelyn Rose

It's time to write about Evelyn Rose. We knew I was pregnant around Thanksgiving 2010 (no test, we just knew!). We waited to tell family until Christmas, and had our first Dr. appointment in January '11. In march we had an ultrasound and discovered we were having a girl! After a couple hours of high excitement and celebration over our coming baby girl, I received a phone call from our Doctor. She had hard news for me- that our little girl was very small, and her brain was not forming right. We scheduled an ultrasound with a specialist, and prayed deeply for a week, for healing. During that week I prepared myself for a miracle, and also reached a place where I was overjoyed to take care of her, regardless of her condition. I did not prepare myself to lose her. At our next appointment we met with a "genetic counselor", and I let most of what she said roll off of me, thinking it would not apply to us. We loved seeing her during the ultrasound- her feet, hands, face, eye...

Thank You

Thank you for walking alongside us, and for deeply crying out to God on our behalf. Tonight Josh and I held eachother with shaking arms, unable to breathe in our pain, with hot tears and groanings, deeper than we ever have. God is walking closely with us, teaching us, holding us. Thank you for being part of that. I can still feel little Evelyn Rose, she is still alive and moving- a continued miracle. As I sat down to pass on a little of this to some of you, here in the wee hours of the morning... in my husband's big sweatshirt, still wiping tears and snot on his sleeves (hope he doesn't mind... I'll just wash this sweatshirt before I give it back to him :) ), I had a photo file open on my desktop. I saw sweet little faces. Sweet, perfect little faces. What a joy and a privilege to raise two wild, wonderful boys. They are turning into such buddies, learning to appreciate eachother and play together instead of fighting, pushing, crying. They are innocent, energetic, curiou...