Skip to main content

Stories I don't want to forget

So I posted the pictures of our vacation onto Facebook, but I can't really put all the stories that go with them into the little caption boxes... so, I thought I'd share them with you on here! I'm really bad at organizing pictures throughout text, so I'll do my best to coordinate stories to pictures...

We left early in the morning on Saturday, and began the first 7-hour leg of our road trip to Harris Ranch, in Coalinga, Ca (aka my favorite place on earth :) ). We spent one night in Redding, CA, and then finished the drive and stayed 5 nights at Harris Ranch. On friday our little family parted ways with the rest, and headed to the coast to see the Redwoods!

Ok, photo #1~
I wanted to include this picture because of the little tin Henry is holding. I bought both the boys a tin lunch box, and filled them with snacks, pencils, mini sketch pads, flash cards of bugs and animals... lots of little goodies from the Target dollar section. I totally recommend this to any of you with a future of road trips with little kids! These boxes brought us lots of hours of quiet(ish) play in the back seat, and once we arrived at Harris, they became lunch boxes for the poolside! I think I'll use them again next year, if they haven't been destroyed yet!




Photo #2~
Ohhhh I love this little face. I don't think Henry will remember this trip because of his age, but I will...



Photo #3~
So much trust for his Daddy. This is swimming in Lake Shasta.







Photo #4~
Jonathan surprised me with this impromptu, glorious squeeze! BEST.FEELING.EVER. :)

Photo #5~
SUPER BOY!!! He didn't leave these goggles on for more than the duration of my pictures, but I could see in his little goggled-eyes that he was quite ticked with himself, and felt very much like SUPER BOY!






Photo #6 & 7~
I kinda like dressing the boys similar. I like that they are becoming buddies. J has his Teddy, and H has his Monkey, and I love encouraging their buddy-ness. :)







Photo #8~
I love these guys! Throughout this trip, I really enjoyed a few hilarious moments between my husband, bro-in-law and I. I respect them both, and I love the humor dynamic we have :)

Photo #9~
THIS FACE! This face embodies the stage of development that Jonathan is in right now. About a year ago, he started making a different face that marked a season also. That face was sticking out his upper lip, which said, "Captain Destructo, comin' through- prepare for mayhem." Don't think I need to describe that too much... I started getting face to face with him when he'd make that face, I'd put my face up close to his and put my thumb over his lip and say, "Jonathan, wipe that naughty look off your face. "
The face that shows up sometimes currently is this little sideways lips thing... he looks so... determined, in an adventuresome, I'm-grown-up sort of way. It's hard to describe- I'm thankful for the picture to capture it.






Photo #10~
This one of J jumping is such a milestone in his boy-hood. I love it. :)

Photo #11~
Buddies. Tired from the pool, takin' a break for some juice together... buddies.






Photo #12~
I love this man, and I always will.

Photo #13~
Henry loves animals. I take the boy to the park, and he doesn't want to play on the play structure, he wants to pet the dogs! On this trip he started calling me "Mam," or "Mamee" instead of "Momma", and on the beach this day (Santa Monica) he kept saying, "Mamee- a bird? a get it?" He wanted to chase the birds! So here we are chasing them!






Photo #14~
I love that Josh and I share a love for coffee. It's a tiny little thing that has been such a mutual bright spot for us, especially through this season we've just walked through. This photo was in Santa Monica at Crumbs.

Photo #15~
Jonathan and Sean became even better buddies on this trip. I'm sure Jonathan feels like a big kid around him- can you see it?






Photo #16~
Out in the middle of the Trinity National Forest, CA, we found a garage sale! Jonathan was SO excited: partially because it meant we could get out of the car for awhile, and partially because he loves garage sales! I was stoked too. Thumbs up!

Photo #17~
Daddy is so much fun! The boys are in the middle of the Redwoods, throwing sticks at "truck monsters"... super cute, and definitely a boy-thing!







Photo #18~
Sometimes I look at pictures of myself, and I'm surprised by what I see. In this one, I really see myself as a Mom. It's strange that I'm really doing this- I'm really raising kids!







Photo #19 & 20~
Our little family!

This trip was so much work- but so much fun, family, and sooooo many memories!

Comments

  1. Looks like such a sweet time. Yes, long road trips/vacations are lots of work with young kids!!!!!! :-) So worth the memories as a young family!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her exis...

Evelyn Rose

It's time to write about Evelyn Rose. We knew I was pregnant around Thanksgiving 2010 (no test, we just knew!). We waited to tell family until Christmas, and had our first Dr. appointment in January '11. In march we had an ultrasound and discovered we were having a girl! After a couple hours of high excitement and celebration over our coming baby girl, I received a phone call from our Doctor. She had hard news for me- that our little girl was very small, and her brain was not forming right. We scheduled an ultrasound with a specialist, and prayed deeply for a week, for healing. During that week I prepared myself for a miracle, and also reached a place where I was overjoyed to take care of her, regardless of her condition. I did not prepare myself to lose her. At our next appointment we met with a "genetic counselor", and I let most of what she said roll off of me, thinking it would not apply to us. We loved seeing her during the ultrasound- her feet, hands, face, eye...

Thank You

Thank you for walking alongside us, and for deeply crying out to God on our behalf. Tonight Josh and I held eachother with shaking arms, unable to breathe in our pain, with hot tears and groanings, deeper than we ever have. God is walking closely with us, teaching us, holding us. Thank you for being part of that. I can still feel little Evelyn Rose, she is still alive and moving- a continued miracle. As I sat down to pass on a little of this to some of you, here in the wee hours of the morning... in my husband's big sweatshirt, still wiping tears and snot on his sleeves (hope he doesn't mind... I'll just wash this sweatshirt before I give it back to him :) ), I had a photo file open on my desktop. I saw sweet little faces. Sweet, perfect little faces. What a joy and a privilege to raise two wild, wonderful boys. They are turning into such buddies, learning to appreciate eachother and play together instead of fighting, pushing, crying. They are innocent, energetic, curiou...