Skip to main content

Dates

My little clan has been classic, summer busy lately. After a much-too-busy week last week, we have made valiant efforts to be a little less so this week. I could tell my boys were a little out of sorts from all the fun, and I knew full well that I was too. {I'm discovering that I'm a bit more of an introvert than I thought!}

We spent a day or two mostly at home, catching up on sleep and laundry, but something was still a bit off in my oldest. He wasn't his usual self, but I couldn't figure out what the missing piece was... I closely watched his attitudes and reactions, amongst the usual behavior corrections. Part way through the morning I pulled him in to my chest and squeezed him tight,
" Little boy?"
 Mommy I'm a big boy.
"Big boy? Something seems a little off in you today..."
I know, Mom, and I just don't know what :(
"Well... if you figure out what it is, let me know and I'll help you fix it."
kay.
And off he goes to play.
Later in the morning I put Roo down for a nap and went outside with the boys, with the intention of getting done some much-needed weeding.

Mommy will you push me in the swing?
"yup."

As I loaded his giant, 5-yr-old body into the swing and strapped him in, something clicked- this is what he needed. I had been catching up on sleep and laundry, but not on quality time with him. Back and forth, back and forth in that swing, I pushed his growing shoulders. We talked, while little brother scampered off to talk to himself :)

Can we  go on another date, Mommy?
We talked about how the quality time we spend together on dates refreshes our hearts, and puts us back into sorts again. In the hot, July sun I felt the chills of a whisper from the Father. He reminded me of a special portion of my childhood, and asked me to share it with my son.

"Remember Grandma and Grandpa's barn? When I was your size I used to go out into the barn by myself, and swing on a rope hung from the rafters. I'd go out there and swing and swing, all by myself, and sing to God. It was my "date" with God, and it was wonderful. When I would get out of sorts I would go have a date with God in the barn, and He would put my heart back together."

Back and forth he swung, and his little heart pondered my story.

I wanna climb that tree, Momma, so I can go on a date with God.
"Little-big boy, you don't have to go high up to get closer to God. You just quiet your heart and He meets you where you are."
God is here, Momma, I know He is.


**October '13: in the months after this post I've learned a little more about this boy. I now think that when he said he wanted to climb a tree to have a date with God, he wasn't talking about being high into the sky/closer to heaven. I've noticed that up-a-tree is his "happy place". It's where he feels a live and free, and when I see it like that, up-a-tree sounds like a perfect place for a 5 yr old boy to meet with his God. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her existenc

How great the Father's love for us...

Evelyn has changed everything. She has changed the way I think, the way I see my boys, the way I approach people, and most importantly she has changed my understanding of the depth of God's love. Yesterday the teacher at our church taught on John 3:16... which I have heard hundreds of times. BUT- yesterday (and today!), and from now on, it means more to me. The verse says this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son..." WHAT?!?! I've heard that, quoted that, referenced that, but now, being asked to give up one of MY children, I see just a little more deeply how God loves me. Having felt the searing pain of being asked to give up a child, my response is so different to reading again that God CHOSE to give up His only child! ...and for me, the little girl I'm being asked to give up will go straight from the safety of my womb to the permanent safety of His arms (unless God gives us a miracle!). But for God, when He gave up Jesus, He sent Him here, kn

We prepare to say goodbye

If we haven't been for the last 10 or so weeks, right now we are preparing to say goodbye. I heard a whisper in the second before my Dr. placed the ultrasound wand on my belly this afternoon, "she is with Me." I saw her tiny body on the screen and noticed how still she seemed. I held my breath, my heart pounding as we looked for her heart beat. None. She is at rest with her Creator. Soon I will see my beautiful daughter's face. To the world's standards, her body will be very broken. But to God's standards, we will see beauty because she has lived her purpose: to point in honor to her Creator. Pray that my body will have the strength to let my heart treasure each moment we get with her body. To God be the glory!