Skip to main content

Dates

My little clan has been classic, summer busy lately. After a much-too-busy week last week, we have made valiant efforts to be a little less so this week. I could tell my boys were a little out of sorts from all the fun, and I knew full well that I was too. {I'm discovering that I'm a bit more of an introvert than I thought!}

We spent a day or two mostly at home, catching up on sleep and laundry, but something was still a bit off in my oldest. He wasn't his usual self, but I couldn't figure out what the missing piece was... I closely watched his attitudes and reactions, amongst the usual behavior corrections. Part way through the morning I pulled him in to my chest and squeezed him tight,
" Little boy?"
 Mommy I'm a big boy.
"Big boy? Something seems a little off in you today..."
I know, Mom, and I just don't know what :(
"Well... if you figure out what it is, let me know and I'll help you fix it."
kay.
And off he goes to play.
Later in the morning I put Roo down for a nap and went outside with the boys, with the intention of getting done some much-needed weeding.

Mommy will you push me in the swing?
"yup."

As I loaded his giant, 5-yr-old body into the swing and strapped him in, something clicked- this is what he needed. I had been catching up on sleep and laundry, but not on quality time with him. Back and forth, back and forth in that swing, I pushed his growing shoulders. We talked, while little brother scampered off to talk to himself :)

Can we  go on another date, Mommy?
We talked about how the quality time we spend together on dates refreshes our hearts, and puts us back into sorts again. In the hot, July sun I felt the chills of a whisper from the Father. He reminded me of a special portion of my childhood, and asked me to share it with my son.

"Remember Grandma and Grandpa's barn? When I was your size I used to go out into the barn by myself, and swing on a rope hung from the rafters. I'd go out there and swing and swing, all by myself, and sing to God. It was my "date" with God, and it was wonderful. When I would get out of sorts I would go have a date with God in the barn, and He would put my heart back together."

Back and forth he swung, and his little heart pondered my story.

I wanna climb that tree, Momma, so I can go on a date with God.
"Little-big boy, you don't have to go high up to get closer to God. You just quiet your heart and He meets you where you are."
God is here, Momma, I know He is.


**October '13: in the months after this post I've learned a little more about this boy. I now think that when he said he wanted to climb a tree to have a date with God, he wasn't talking about being high into the sky/closer to heaven. I've noticed that up-a-tree is his "happy place". It's where he feels a live and free, and when I see it like that, up-a-tree sounds like a perfect place for a 5 yr old boy to meet with his God. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her exis...

Evelyn Rose

It's time to write about Evelyn Rose. We knew I was pregnant around Thanksgiving 2010 (no test, we just knew!). We waited to tell family until Christmas, and had our first Dr. appointment in January '11. In march we had an ultrasound and discovered we were having a girl! After a couple hours of high excitement and celebration over our coming baby girl, I received a phone call from our Doctor. She had hard news for me- that our little girl was very small, and her brain was not forming right. We scheduled an ultrasound with a specialist, and prayed deeply for a week, for healing. During that week I prepared myself for a miracle, and also reached a place where I was overjoyed to take care of her, regardless of her condition. I did not prepare myself to lose her. At our next appointment we met with a "genetic counselor", and I let most of what she said roll off of me, thinking it would not apply to us. We loved seeing her during the ultrasound- her feet, hands, face, eye...

Thank You

Thank you for walking alongside us, and for deeply crying out to God on our behalf. Tonight Josh and I held eachother with shaking arms, unable to breathe in our pain, with hot tears and groanings, deeper than we ever have. God is walking closely with us, teaching us, holding us. Thank you for being part of that. I can still feel little Evelyn Rose, she is still alive and moving- a continued miracle. As I sat down to pass on a little of this to some of you, here in the wee hours of the morning... in my husband's big sweatshirt, still wiping tears and snot on his sleeves (hope he doesn't mind... I'll just wash this sweatshirt before I give it back to him :) ), I had a photo file open on my desktop. I saw sweet little faces. Sweet, perfect little faces. What a joy and a privilege to raise two wild, wonderful boys. They are turning into such buddies, learning to appreciate eachother and play together instead of fighting, pushing, crying. They are innocent, energetic, curiou...