Skip to main content

History





It feels appropriate to re-awaken the blogger in me with an excerpt from my history, and some honor for the roots I grew from.

I have a lot of memories of my Daddy sitting in his armchair with a tattered leather Bible on his lap. I remember him reading his, and when his Dad passed to eternity, he held my Grandpa's in it's place. He's a teacher, and a Bible teacher, and crawls deep into the word, looking for the Lord.

My grandpa was a worshiper with every part of his being. I sat with him on the tall, wooden organ bench, feeling the grand and glorious rumble of sound from within.  He played with his hands and his feet, and his eyes smiled out of his long, english face. He hummed hymns while he walked, and longed for heaven not with the sorrow of this life, but foreshadowed joy for the next.

My Momma gave me a little blue book when I was eight. She told me to write my heart out to the Lord. She told me to tell him all the woes of my childish worldview, and sent me on the road less traveled. In the pages of the little blue book, I found that He was good. He was gentle and kind, and never interrupted my sobbing. He listened intently to every smeared, cursive sentence, and soaked up the tears that fell on each page. He  cared that I didn't want to clean my room, that the boys were mean and I wasn't allowed sleepovers. He never shushed me, never dealt harshly. He won me with his kindness and faithfulness in my youth.

Each new notebook and wave of woes, He never changed. Each first entry, He felt familiar and steady. He stayed patient as my woes turned into dreams. He listened and cared, the whole time.

I have my Grandpa's heart for songs for the Lord, I can't help it.

The Lord calls to me in song and in the word, and in the middle of my buzzing life, and He is never distracted from His patient, steady pursuit.

I bought a new notebook this week, and like every time before, His arms were wide open on the first page.

The people above and those close to them know there is so much more to their stories and mine. There are piles of hardship and sorrow and frustration. There are unfulfilled dreams and disappointing relationships, but that all falls away in the presence of the Lord. He didn't use their perfection to capture me, He used their connection with Him. He held me near to the places He meets with them and let me feel Him there.

He is the pursuer, and all He wants from me is response.

He has never, never failed to be wonderful, and He never will.




**pictured: the original blue notebook, my newest, and the Bible Josh proposed with

//side note//
I love the way He never wastes a detail... some of you are familiar with a different 'little blue book' in my life... my songwriting notebook, the one He delivered lyrics for The Unfolding into.
 Isn't He wonderful??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her existenc

How great the Father's love for us...

Evelyn has changed everything. She has changed the way I think, the way I see my boys, the way I approach people, and most importantly she has changed my understanding of the depth of God's love. Yesterday the teacher at our church taught on John 3:16... which I have heard hundreds of times. BUT- yesterday (and today!), and from now on, it means more to me. The verse says this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son..." WHAT?!?! I've heard that, quoted that, referenced that, but now, being asked to give up one of MY children, I see just a little more deeply how God loves me. Having felt the searing pain of being asked to give up a child, my response is so different to reading again that God CHOSE to give up His only child! ...and for me, the little girl I'm being asked to give up will go straight from the safety of my womb to the permanent safety of His arms (unless God gives us a miracle!). But for God, when He gave up Jesus, He sent Him here, kn

We prepare to say goodbye

If we haven't been for the last 10 or so weeks, right now we are preparing to say goodbye. I heard a whisper in the second before my Dr. placed the ultrasound wand on my belly this afternoon, "she is with Me." I saw her tiny body on the screen and noticed how still she seemed. I held my breath, my heart pounding as we looked for her heart beat. None. She is at rest with her Creator. Soon I will see my beautiful daughter's face. To the world's standards, her body will be very broken. But to God's standards, we will see beauty because she has lived her purpose: to point in honor to her Creator. Pray that my body will have the strength to let my heart treasure each moment we get with her body. To God be the glory!