Skip to main content

Playin' With The Big Boys



She was outside playing with the big boys. She loves them with all her heart, and they love her, and sometimes they don't know their strength. I patted the baby's bottom, rocking and swaying and spying out the window at them all. They had been buddies all day, which is unusual, and resulted in way more mess than usual.
The big boys are on the verge of bits of "man" showing through, and I feel a mix of sadness and pride. Roo is beginning to find her voice and her confidence, and they let her tag along.
Their voices were high and their shoulders sweaty. All their little (and big) hands gripped the same rope, and their imaginary world had mostly taken over.
I could see the potential for a wild and unintentional injury. It's almost always the smaller ones that get hurt. But everyone must learn their strength, their limits, and to think for themselves and look out for others.

Sure enough... they came parading in- blood and tears and "I DIDN'T MEAN TO!!".
I scooped up the bloody little face in my arms. I felt her body shake and she squeezed up her little nose in stinging pain. She had a scrape all across her nose and one part of her cheek. She had hit the ground pretty hard, and her tears weren't just fear, they were pain.
She hadn't seen her own face yet, but as she calmed I thought of the freckles that laid under the damaged skin. Her face is so captivatingly beautiful, my heart was moved to see her all roughed-up.

I know the Father feels that way.

I know He watches, seeing our potential for catastrophe, watching us bravely risk our hearts to experience relationship. Sometimes He lingers when we get hurt, ready to scoop us up and pour out comfort. I know it hurts Him to see His creations damaged, and I know He sees through to the healing. I know we are still beautiful to Him when we are injured.

I know He also sees when we don't know our strength. Sometimes He watches as we pull that rope a little too hard and our sister goes flying. He walks us through the lesson in measuring how hard we tug on someone else. He teaches us that it should be our concern for others that motivates us to measure our actions, not the fear of punishment.

The man-boy muscle moment turned into an opportunity for a boy to show compassion and offer a bond of sibling-hood. The damaged damsel has opportunity still to allow others to notice her injury (it is on her FACE...), and not shrink back in shame for having taken the risk of playing with the big boys. She gets to carry a story of choosing to risk again, out of the bond of trust between her and brother, who is learning how to love a creature very different from himself.

The whole thing is risk and reconciliation and measures of inward and outward strength. Relationship is beautiful and scary and complicated, and the Father longs for it. He long for us to love Him and each other, and for us to let Him love us a little deeper.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her existenc

How great the Father's love for us...

Evelyn has changed everything. She has changed the way I think, the way I see my boys, the way I approach people, and most importantly she has changed my understanding of the depth of God's love. Yesterday the teacher at our church taught on John 3:16... which I have heard hundreds of times. BUT- yesterday (and today!), and from now on, it means more to me. The verse says this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son..." WHAT?!?! I've heard that, quoted that, referenced that, but now, being asked to give up one of MY children, I see just a little more deeply how God loves me. Having felt the searing pain of being asked to give up a child, my response is so different to reading again that God CHOSE to give up His only child! ...and for me, the little girl I'm being asked to give up will go straight from the safety of my womb to the permanent safety of His arms (unless God gives us a miracle!). But for God, when He gave up Jesus, He sent Him here, kn

We prepare to say goodbye

If we haven't been for the last 10 or so weeks, right now we are preparing to say goodbye. I heard a whisper in the second before my Dr. placed the ultrasound wand on my belly this afternoon, "she is with Me." I saw her tiny body on the screen and noticed how still she seemed. I held my breath, my heart pounding as we looked for her heart beat. None. She is at rest with her Creator. Soon I will see my beautiful daughter's face. To the world's standards, her body will be very broken. But to God's standards, we will see beauty because she has lived her purpose: to point in honor to her Creator. Pray that my body will have the strength to let my heart treasure each moment we get with her body. To God be the glory!