Skip to main content

I don't kno-ow



Her tiny little legs pulled up to her chin, and that fluffy yellow hair flopped down over the rest of her frame. All the feelings a little peanut could possibly feel came bubbling out her shaking shoulders and her big round eyes.
What's wrong Peanut?
"I don't kno-ow", she sobbed.
Did you get hurt?
"I don't kno-ow"
Did you do something naughty?
"I don't kno-ow"

This is so me. Feeling all the feelings and all I've got to say for myself is "I don't kno-ow". 

Finally I dug out enough clues to see what happened, and then the clarity came.
"I felt embarrassed, Mama."

Oh, this is me too. I really, really don't like being embarrassed. I don't like that moment when someone is looking (or MIGHT be), and I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if I got hurt or even what actually happened.

One of those trails of confusing emotion in me is weaved all around the output of creating. The blog has laid quiet, all current and past songs are between the two blue covers of my songwriting book. When I look down at my wings, in the stillness I see pockets of rest, but big portions of ugly, discouraging atrophe. 

This morning the Lord reminded me of something I had spoken on in seasons past. I sat on the stool next to the lamp and spoke about filling the depths of our "secret place" with the Lord fuller and deeper than the amount we pour out on stage. I poured passion into the importance of reserving huge portions of our inner life as sacred, for God-and-I-only. We all agreed that worship leading (or blog writing or speaking or...) must be the OVERFLOW of a deep well of time and rich interaction between us and the Lord. We saw the folly in only drawing from the Lord what we plan to preach or sing, and no more. 

This is where a face-palm emoji should be placed. 

He wants me to return to that deep well. If the blog is stopped-up and the little blue book is dusty, and the places I used to pour out are taken away- that is not reason to stop up the flow of the life inside. It's time to practice what I preach, and JOYFULLY draw from Him just to be filled. My "I don't kno-ow" feelings on this one have actually been the tension between wanting to overflow but NOT wanting to fully engage in just being filled. Part of truly being filled is resting. If I stop at the faucet just long enough to get a swallow of water in my cup, there is no overflow. 

Some of the first lyrics I wrote... 

MORE THAN my needs
MORE THAN my dreams
I want to know You. 

Oh goodness. This is where I must go again.

Comments

  1. Jesus is the only on in this life who says " Come to me...." everyone else says go away I have enough of my own stuff to deal with! Matthew 11:28

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her existenc

How great the Father's love for us...

Evelyn has changed everything. She has changed the way I think, the way I see my boys, the way I approach people, and most importantly she has changed my understanding of the depth of God's love. Yesterday the teacher at our church taught on John 3:16... which I have heard hundreds of times. BUT- yesterday (and today!), and from now on, it means more to me. The verse says this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son..." WHAT?!?! I've heard that, quoted that, referenced that, but now, being asked to give up one of MY children, I see just a little more deeply how God loves me. Having felt the searing pain of being asked to give up a child, my response is so different to reading again that God CHOSE to give up His only child! ...and for me, the little girl I'm being asked to give up will go straight from the safety of my womb to the permanent safety of His arms (unless God gives us a miracle!). But for God, when He gave up Jesus, He sent Him here, kn

We prepare to say goodbye

If we haven't been for the last 10 or so weeks, right now we are preparing to say goodbye. I heard a whisper in the second before my Dr. placed the ultrasound wand on my belly this afternoon, "she is with Me." I saw her tiny body on the screen and noticed how still she seemed. I held my breath, my heart pounding as we looked for her heart beat. None. She is at rest with her Creator. Soon I will see my beautiful daughter's face. To the world's standards, her body will be very broken. But to God's standards, we will see beauty because she has lived her purpose: to point in honor to her Creator. Pray that my body will have the strength to let my heart treasure each moment we get with her body. To God be the glory!