Skip to main content

Hard Things.




These pictures have nothing to do with this post... they are just pictures of a rare, sweet moment that happened recently. My boys hardly ever sit still, and definitely not long enough to snuggle with eachother. HOWEVER, they were SO tired after 2 hours in their pool that they sunk into eachother as they had juice and enjoyed a veggie tales. I simply had to take pictures :)

Anyway...
I've learned recently that hard things are often not for the person going through them. I realized this by seeing that Evelyn's life was not intended for me... her life was for many, many others. When I learned I was carrying a little girl, my heart lept with a sudden list of thing I wanted to experience with her: ponytails, dolls, dresses, nail painting, watching her Daddy love a little girl and her brothers protect a little sister, and for me- the hope of a dear, forever friend.
It's been quite the process to let go of the memories I won't have with her, and to replace them with the sweet, intangible aroma of how she touches others' lives for good.
Thank you, to those of you who have expressed to me or my husband how you have been touched, changed, grown by my little girl. Each time I hear that from someone new, I hear my God gently whispering... "I had a purpose for her life: here's part of it. I had a purpose for her life: here's part of it..."

God has me covered through all this- He's not hanging me out to dry. A new person in my life (Shelly!!) has been able to use their hard time for my sake. I met Shelly only a few weeks before I found out that little Evelyn's life was in danger. I knew nothing of Shelly's story, but the sunday before that ultrasound, God (the God that is walking with me!) prompted me to ask Shelly to pray for me and my baby. I explained to her that I had been feeling fear that my baby was not healthy, and she prayed over me, and told me a piece of her story. Shelly lost a little girl, in the same way I did, about 7 years ago. At the time, her story felt like it had no purpose, but now we both see that part of HER baby girl's purpose was to help ME! Shelly has walked near me through this whole thing, blessing me, praying for me, encouraging me, speaking truth to me, and sharing deeply her own experience. Praise God for using our hard times to bless other people.

A tiny word of encouragement to those of you in your own hard place: keep the faith, and know that God HAS A PURPOSE. Even if that purpose is for someone else.

God is faithfully healing me, too. I wrote this whole post without tears! I do still cry sometimes, but it's different than it was. Praise our faithful God.

Comments

  1. Great reminder coming at the perfect time.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her exis...

Evelyn Rose

It's time to write about Evelyn Rose. We knew I was pregnant around Thanksgiving 2010 (no test, we just knew!). We waited to tell family until Christmas, and had our first Dr. appointment in January '11. In march we had an ultrasound and discovered we were having a girl! After a couple hours of high excitement and celebration over our coming baby girl, I received a phone call from our Doctor. She had hard news for me- that our little girl was very small, and her brain was not forming right. We scheduled an ultrasound with a specialist, and prayed deeply for a week, for healing. During that week I prepared myself for a miracle, and also reached a place where I was overjoyed to take care of her, regardless of her condition. I did not prepare myself to lose her. At our next appointment we met with a "genetic counselor", and I let most of what she said roll off of me, thinking it would not apply to us. We loved seeing her during the ultrasound- her feet, hands, face, eye...

Thank You

Thank you for walking alongside us, and for deeply crying out to God on our behalf. Tonight Josh and I held eachother with shaking arms, unable to breathe in our pain, with hot tears and groanings, deeper than we ever have. God is walking closely with us, teaching us, holding us. Thank you for being part of that. I can still feel little Evelyn Rose, she is still alive and moving- a continued miracle. As I sat down to pass on a little of this to some of you, here in the wee hours of the morning... in my husband's big sweatshirt, still wiping tears and snot on his sleeves (hope he doesn't mind... I'll just wash this sweatshirt before I give it back to him :) ), I had a photo file open on my desktop. I saw sweet little faces. Sweet, perfect little faces. What a joy and a privilege to raise two wild, wonderful boys. They are turning into such buddies, learning to appreciate eachother and play together instead of fighting, pushing, crying. They are innocent, energetic, curiou...