Skip to main content

An incredible conversation with my 3 yr. old

You never know who might be impacted by what you say. Tonight I had an incredible conversation with my 3 yr old. We brought some Birthday cake to one of the Jr. highers at Daddy's youth group, and stayed through the worship time. Our pastor, Jack, shared something with the group about Jesus really being there, and encouraged them to close their eyes and really think about that during the worship time. ...and my wiggly 3 yr. old heard him.

My boys have been waking up at night crying (which I think they are a little old now, for that to be a regular thing), and I've been praying and brainstorming about how to help them sleep more peacefully. In fact, I just had a conversation with my mom about it this afternoon. She suggested praying with them before bed, which I haven't been super consistent about. Sometimes, when I suspect that they will have a rough night, I will kneel at their door, with my arms spread toward each bed, and ask that God send an angel to spread it's wings over each boy and bring them peace. But I haven't been enormously consistent about praying WITH my boys at bedtime. So tonight I decided to turn over a new leaf.

I had Jonathan crawl in his bed, and I held Henry and sat at the foot of J's bed.
Hey Jonathan?, I said. "Yeah, Mommy?" There's something I want to do before bed. I want to talk to Jesus. "Hey Mommy? Pastor Jack said that Jesus is really here and we could close our eyes." (WOAH. He was listening??) Yes, Jonathan, you're right. "But I don't see Him." (at this point my brain is scrambling for a way to describe Jesus being present, but unseen and unheard). Well, Jonathan- you know how during naptime, when your door is closed and you're on the inside, and I'm on the outside, and how you can't see me, but I can still hear you? That's how Jesus is, all the time. "Oh. An angel is gonna come and sit by my bed and make me feel safe?" Yeah, we could ask Jesus to send one for you.
Then Jonathan brought up "Baby Evelyn", as he calls her: "Hey Mommy? Jesus gonna come and bring Baby Evelyn back and put her in your tummy?" No, He's going to keep her. Daddy brought home her body in the little Rose, but her heart is going to stay with Jesus (Josh brought home her urn this past week, which Jonathan knows about). "Mommy? I want to have a rose for curious George, because I don't have him any more." (heehee) He went on, asking if we needed a Rose for him or for Henry, and I told him no because their hearts were still with us. J asked me if I had any more babies in my tummy, and I told him I was waiting for Jesus to give me our next one. "Jesus is gonna bring another friend to put in your tummy, Mommy!", he exclaimed! Yes, Jonathan, mommy is waiting for Jesus to do that. "If I see your tummy is big, that's another baby."
"Hey Mommy? When we went on vacation and Pastor Jack was there (Won by One family camp is what he's referring to), the people went under the water." (Our boys watched the baptisms with us, and we've talked about what Baptism means) Do you remember why they did that? "um, cuz they love Jesus, and when they come up, Jesus said 'YAAAAAAAAAYYY!!' "
I've told him that those people were baptised because they wanted to show everyone that they love Jesus, and that going under the water is like Jesus dying, and coming up is like Jesus coming back to life. I hadn't told him that Jesus watched those baptisms, and that it made Him happy. But he was right.

Finally it came time to wrap up the conversation (he had lots more to say that didn't all make sense), and put Henry in his bed (Henry was fast asleep by this point). I laid Henry down, and came back to Jonathan's bed to pray.
Jonathan? Do you have anything you want to say to Jesus? "Um, that I'm sad because I don't have curious George anymore. And that for Christmas I want to have another friend for my Teddy, and another curious George." Okay, you can tell Him that, and then Mommy will tell Him some things.
During my turn I said thank you to Jesus for all the babies He has given me: for putting Jonathan in my tummy, for putting Henry in my tummy, for putting Evelyn in my tummy, and for the babies He is getting read to give me. And I asked Jesus for that angel to sit next to the boys' beds. When I opened my eyes, Jonathan's face was inches from mine, wide-eyed and sweet.

Long story short: Jack was talking to middle/high schoolers tonight, but reached my 3 yr. old in the process. Speak truth, and let the Creator direct your words to who He intends to hear them. It's incredible to watch God translate adult words and concepts to my young, young little boys. I'm truly just watching, in awe, and trying to tag along as best I can.

Comments

  1. Out Of The Mouths Of Babes....thanks for sharing this. Love all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was precious. Thanks for sharing. Love you guys, and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pretty great. You are a good momma. <3 -R.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her existenc

How great the Father's love for us...

Evelyn has changed everything. She has changed the way I think, the way I see my boys, the way I approach people, and most importantly she has changed my understanding of the depth of God's love. Yesterday the teacher at our church taught on John 3:16... which I have heard hundreds of times. BUT- yesterday (and today!), and from now on, it means more to me. The verse says this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son..." WHAT?!?! I've heard that, quoted that, referenced that, but now, being asked to give up one of MY children, I see just a little more deeply how God loves me. Having felt the searing pain of being asked to give up a child, my response is so different to reading again that God CHOSE to give up His only child! ...and for me, the little girl I'm being asked to give up will go straight from the safety of my womb to the permanent safety of His arms (unless God gives us a miracle!). But for God, when He gave up Jesus, He sent Him here, kn

We prepare to say goodbye

If we haven't been for the last 10 or so weeks, right now we are preparing to say goodbye. I heard a whisper in the second before my Dr. placed the ultrasound wand on my belly this afternoon, "she is with Me." I saw her tiny body on the screen and noticed how still she seemed. I held my breath, my heart pounding as we looked for her heart beat. None. She is at rest with her Creator. Soon I will see my beautiful daughter's face. To the world's standards, her body will be very broken. But to God's standards, we will see beauty because she has lived her purpose: to point in honor to her Creator. Pray that my body will have the strength to let my heart treasure each moment we get with her body. To God be the glory!