Skip to main content

35 weeks, 6 days, and grateful

I'm in the final count-down for Ruby's arrival! I've been writing lists, scratching them off as best I can, swelling, organizing, eating, peeing, rejoicing, and appreciating each peaceful moment I'm given
It's been really important to me during this pregnancy that I not get lost in the earthly preparations for this child, and forget to prepare my heart:

We know that the daily tasks of mothering are mostly just... tasks- and that the depth of mothering is found in the hearts of our children. Our goal is not to raise people that dress right, chew with their mouth closed, and remember to put the seat down. It is our purpose to cultivate adults that are aware of, able to receive love from and give love to God and others.

Breakdown:
The end goal of my job as Momma is...
~that my children see, feel, sense God
~that my children's hearts remain soft enough to receive love from God
~that out of the overflow of receiving, my children give love back to God

~that my children are conscious of the needs of others
~that my children have enough humility to receive both tough and soft love from others
~that my children, in light of God's tenderness toward us, learn to choose to put others before themselves

Boy, oh, boy... which seems more daunting: diapers, stomach flu, potty training... or the above list??

I'm in the thick of all this with my boys, laying the groundwork at ages almost-3 and 4, and I must not forget to prepare more than a baby room for Ruby.

I've asked God since the beginning of this pregnancy to give me peace and rest before she comes. June was absolutely crazy (hence being sent to couch-warming duty for awhile), but as July begins I have been gifted some unexpected quiet moments. Thank you, to those of you that have been willing participants in God's orchestration :)

My husband has been extra-engaged with the boys, playing "Avengers", wrestling, and making Lego creations. His prayers over my tired body helped me rest reasonably well last night. My mom and Josh's mom have both come by and gifted me some feet-up time, and the boys have begun a new stage of play-mate which keeps them quite occupied! This morning they spent upwards of an hour in a fort I made them, driving places and making deliveries while I organized Ruby's closet... and God organized my heart.

After naptime (which ended up being lay-in-your-bed-and-giggle-as-quietly-as-possible-so-mom-doesn't-catch-us time) today, Henry discovered that if he drove his monster truck (gently-GENTLY!) over my belly that Ruby would kick and wiggle, much to his delight!

Jonathan's latest "jam sessions" have all been him on his guitar making up songs about his sister coming.

35 weeks, 6 days, and grateful

My belly as I see it :)

35 weeks, 6 days and grateful
God of all creation, prepare my heart to add a new little soul to my responsibilities. Keep my eyes stayed to the course, and my heart from the distractions of this world. Fill me daily, over and over, with all that I need.

Ruby Anjuli means this:
Precious Gem, Sent from God, Held with open hands.

Comments

  1. I have been very much caught up in all the "earthly" preparations lately, though some of it couldn't be avoided. Thanks for the reminder of what is truly important!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her existenc

How great the Father's love for us...

Evelyn has changed everything. She has changed the way I think, the way I see my boys, the way I approach people, and most importantly she has changed my understanding of the depth of God's love. Yesterday the teacher at our church taught on John 3:16... which I have heard hundreds of times. BUT- yesterday (and today!), and from now on, it means more to me. The verse says this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son..." WHAT?!?! I've heard that, quoted that, referenced that, but now, being asked to give up one of MY children, I see just a little more deeply how God loves me. Having felt the searing pain of being asked to give up a child, my response is so different to reading again that God CHOSE to give up His only child! ...and for me, the little girl I'm being asked to give up will go straight from the safety of my womb to the permanent safety of His arms (unless God gives us a miracle!). But for God, when He gave up Jesus, He sent Him here, kn

We prepare to say goodbye

If we haven't been for the last 10 or so weeks, right now we are preparing to say goodbye. I heard a whisper in the second before my Dr. placed the ultrasound wand on my belly this afternoon, "she is with Me." I saw her tiny body on the screen and noticed how still she seemed. I held my breath, my heart pounding as we looked for her heart beat. None. She is at rest with her Creator. Soon I will see my beautiful daughter's face. To the world's standards, her body will be very broken. But to God's standards, we will see beauty because she has lived her purpose: to point in honor to her Creator. Pray that my body will have the strength to let my heart treasure each moment we get with her body. To God be the glory!