Skip to main content

Repairing Grace

I've been talking with my kids about how sin destroys relationship. God's list of "do-not"s aren't for us to have religious rules to follow, but to guide us into hurting others less. If we skim over the 10 Commandments, the heart behind each of them is to protect the hearts of others: do not steal, do not envy, do not murder...

I've been teaching my kids that when they are selfish or mean with each other that it damages their "buddy-ness", and when they are disobedient or disrespectful to me, it damages our relationship too. I've been guiding them into going back and repairing relationships when they realize that they have damaged them.

A week or so ago I had a particularly rough morning with one of them, and the yuck piled up. As we clashed, worked it out, clashed, worked it out, each time a little remnant of "yuck" was left behind. I began to get discouraged, feeling the strain that all that discipline was putting on our relationship. Another situation arose and I sent Little Mister up to his bed for a bit, instructing him that when I called him down I would let him know what his consequence would be. He knew he had it coming, and he dragged himself wearily up the stairs.

I plopped myself down on the couch, racking my brain for a creative way to set him back on the right path. "YOU bridge the gap this time, my daughter."
What do you mean, Father God?
"Call him down, and love on him. Give him grace, erase what he's done. Fix the relationship FOR him."
What about consistency? Won't that be letting him get away with it?
"Sometimes the 'yuck' piles up so high that his little heart can't fix the relationship on it's own. But YOU can. You are his parent, and your heart is bigger, and you can teach him about grace. It's what I've done for YOU."

Blown away, I called Little Mister down. Slowly, one step at a time, he plunked his way down.
"What is it, Mommy?" (you could see the dread in his face)
I want you to come snuggle with me.
"But what is my consequence?"
Snuggles.
"What?"
I want you to snuggle with me.
"...what?"
Let's start all over, sweet boy. Climb on my lap, let's forget all the "yuck", and just be close for awhile. I'm not going to give you a consequence this time, I'm going to give you grace.
He came close and climbed up on me. His sweaty hair pressed against my neck, and as I held him close all the "yuck" dripped away. I told him I love him, and he began to soften.

"Come to me like this, again and again my daughter. I have volunteered to wash away your sin and fix our relationship. You don't need to do anything, just draw near and let my grace wash over you."

Of course our sins have consequences, and of course we must train our children. But in the middle of that is grace- powerful, repairing GRACE.

Pull me a little closer
take me a little deeper
I want to know Your heart
I want to know Your heart
'cause your love is so much sweeter
than anything I've tasted
I want to know your heart
I want to know your heart

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTUWO636_-c

Comments

  1. You would love the book grace based parenting by Tim Kimmel. We also love Families Where Grace is in Place. I loved your post, it was a great reminder that sometime we do think consequences are the most important when reaching our child heart; its exciting when God parents us in the midst of our parenting!
    Sally Clarkson is a woman i look up to dearly. She has a blog called I take joy, http://www.itakejoy.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her existenc

How great the Father's love for us...

Evelyn has changed everything. She has changed the way I think, the way I see my boys, the way I approach people, and most importantly she has changed my understanding of the depth of God's love. Yesterday the teacher at our church taught on John 3:16... which I have heard hundreds of times. BUT- yesterday (and today!), and from now on, it means more to me. The verse says this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son..." WHAT?!?! I've heard that, quoted that, referenced that, but now, being asked to give up one of MY children, I see just a little more deeply how God loves me. Having felt the searing pain of being asked to give up a child, my response is so different to reading again that God CHOSE to give up His only child! ...and for me, the little girl I'm being asked to give up will go straight from the safety of my womb to the permanent safety of His arms (unless God gives us a miracle!). But for God, when He gave up Jesus, He sent Him here, kn

We prepare to say goodbye

If we haven't been for the last 10 or so weeks, right now we are preparing to say goodbye. I heard a whisper in the second before my Dr. placed the ultrasound wand on my belly this afternoon, "she is with Me." I saw her tiny body on the screen and noticed how still she seemed. I held my breath, my heart pounding as we looked for her heart beat. None. She is at rest with her Creator. Soon I will see my beautiful daughter's face. To the world's standards, her body will be very broken. But to God's standards, we will see beauty because she has lived her purpose: to point in honor to her Creator. Pray that my body will have the strength to let my heart treasure each moment we get with her body. To God be the glory!