Skip to main content

paradox

...sometimes I feel like I might only survive raising two boys who are 15 months apart- narrowly escape insanity, but just a few gray hairs. :)

Sometimes everyone is crying noisily at once.

Sometimes we all try functioning on way too little sleep.

Lots of the time I'm flying by the seat of my pants, trying out whatever advice I can collect.

Often I see how desperately I need the calm, peace, consistency of my Creator.

Often I wonder if it's working- if my boys will turn out alright, or be little hoodlums forever.

Sometimes I can only laugh (inwardly?) at what I find when I enter a room.

Sometimes I call for backup.

Always, always, every day, in the middle of WHATEVER, two sets of round, beautiful, blue eyes look into mine, and it all vanishes. They look up, up at me, with tears, smiles, naughty intent, curiosity, confusion, giggles... and I'm completely consumed with love again.

Sometimes I hold them a little longer, just to savor the snuggles that will soon pass forever.

Sometimes I stare at them while they play, until they catch me and smile shyly.

Sometimes I kiss their noses and breathe deeply in the sweet smell of little-boy.

Sometimes I pull them out of their beds when I check on them at night, and hold them, with admiration, marveling that someday they will be men.

Sometimes I kneel outside their door and pray that God fills in what I can't in their lives.

I still believe it- raising these boys is the single hardest, and most valuable thing I will ever do.

God, walk closely beside me as I embrace this mighty task.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her exis...

Evelyn Rose

It's time to write about Evelyn Rose. We knew I was pregnant around Thanksgiving 2010 (no test, we just knew!). We waited to tell family until Christmas, and had our first Dr. appointment in January '11. In march we had an ultrasound and discovered we were having a girl! After a couple hours of high excitement and celebration over our coming baby girl, I received a phone call from our Doctor. She had hard news for me- that our little girl was very small, and her brain was not forming right. We scheduled an ultrasound with a specialist, and prayed deeply for a week, for healing. During that week I prepared myself for a miracle, and also reached a place where I was overjoyed to take care of her, regardless of her condition. I did not prepare myself to lose her. At our next appointment we met with a "genetic counselor", and I let most of what she said roll off of me, thinking it would not apply to us. We loved seeing her during the ultrasound- her feet, hands, face, eye...

Thank You

Thank you for walking alongside us, and for deeply crying out to God on our behalf. Tonight Josh and I held eachother with shaking arms, unable to breathe in our pain, with hot tears and groanings, deeper than we ever have. God is walking closely with us, teaching us, holding us. Thank you for being part of that. I can still feel little Evelyn Rose, she is still alive and moving- a continued miracle. As I sat down to pass on a little of this to some of you, here in the wee hours of the morning... in my husband's big sweatshirt, still wiping tears and snot on his sleeves (hope he doesn't mind... I'll just wash this sweatshirt before I give it back to him :) ), I had a photo file open on my desktop. I saw sweet little faces. Sweet, perfect little faces. What a joy and a privilege to raise two wild, wonderful boys. They are turning into such buddies, learning to appreciate eachother and play together instead of fighting, pushing, crying. They are innocent, energetic, curiou...