Skip to main content

Canning

When I hang up my apron after 10 pm, 3 days in a row- it's been a good week :)

I've been canning like a wild-woman! The last few days has been apple pie filling (new for me this year!), crock-pot apple butter (also new), and crock-pot applesause (...also new. ). My mom and I have done applesauce together, but we've never tried it in the crock pot. So far, I love it!! After the apple pie filling, I did the apple butter (sauce is cooling on the counter right now)- chopped up 10 apples, tossed them in the crock pot with a little water, lots of sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, and turned it on high for 5ish hours (stirring occasionally). I put it all in the crock pot during nap time, and strained out the peels and canned it after the kids went to bed- easiest canning I've ever done.  ...also the only canning I've ever done by myself! My mom picked up a canning pot this week to be my very own, and my mom-in-law bought me the tongs/funnel/etc last year for Christmas. I've really come to love the way canning steams up my whole kitchen, fills my whole house with warm, sweet smells, I love how the jars look on the shelves all lined up next to eachother, and I love that those same jars were used by my Great-Grandma on her ranch in Wyoming.

I learned a few things, while venturing on my own:

*When lifting the lid of the canning pot to check for boiling, not only should you use tongs, but also lift away from yourself, so as to not burn your hands on the steam... otherwise your husband might giggle at you noisily dropping the huge lid on the floor :)

*Really, do leave enough air at the top of the jar, or your lids will try to expand UP while boiling... (I thought mine were going to explode!)

*Rinse dishes along the way, but save washing them until you've kicked your feet up with a rewarding snack! (currently I'm eating ramen. Yes, again. It's my comfort food :))

*a trick my mom taught me- if you don't fill enough jars to fill  the pot, put in some with just water (HOT water) to keep them from falling over.

My first canning pot!
Apple Butter
Apple Pie Filling
...My canning buddy :)
Hooray for family-picked, home-canned food! ...I think I would've liked some of the decades in the past :)

P.S. Here's the links to the recipes I *sortof* followed for the crock-pot apple butter and the crock-pot applesauce -- I followed the sauce recipe fairly closely, but the butter recipe I did some re-arranging. For apple butter I did 10ish apples, sliced, 1/2 cup water, 2c sugar (they say 7!!), um, can't remember how much of the spices..., and cooked on high for 5ish hrs, stirring occasionally and mashing occasionally. Right before I canned, I dumped it through a strainer into a big bowl to get the peels out (strainer with holes, not mesh). Enjoy!

Comments

  1. nice work! I would love to take something like this on if I could have the sugar! What exactly do you use the apple butter on/for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the apple butter like jam. My Grandma used to make it more like applesauce, so we just ate hers out of a bowl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small Victory

I have a small victory to share with you:  Let me give some context... I blogged about the loss of children recently, verbally stomping my feet and telling the enemy that I will have no more of it- and that I have chosen my side and refuse to budge. The children God has given me "on loan" are all so different... Jonathan was an easy baby, and is currently a whirl-wind 3 1/2 yr old- he is FULL of energy, curiosity, music, rythm, he is friendly, relational, deep (yes, deep!), always thinking, processing, talking... He knows about God and that Jesus is real, and he knows that his baby sister Evelyn is safe with Jesus. Henry was a difficult baby, and is an easy 2 yr-old!  He adores his  brother and wants to be where he is, he gives AMAZING hugs, likes to be held, likes books, connects quickly with people, is caring, noisy, talkative, fast... and still has his innocence. He likes to pray. Evelyn has changed my life more than anything. Her body was tiny, but her existenc

How great the Father's love for us...

Evelyn has changed everything. She has changed the way I think, the way I see my boys, the way I approach people, and most importantly she has changed my understanding of the depth of God's love. Yesterday the teacher at our church taught on John 3:16... which I have heard hundreds of times. BUT- yesterday (and today!), and from now on, it means more to me. The verse says this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son..." WHAT?!?! I've heard that, quoted that, referenced that, but now, being asked to give up one of MY children, I see just a little more deeply how God loves me. Having felt the searing pain of being asked to give up a child, my response is so different to reading again that God CHOSE to give up His only child! ...and for me, the little girl I'm being asked to give up will go straight from the safety of my womb to the permanent safety of His arms (unless God gives us a miracle!). But for God, when He gave up Jesus, He sent Him here, kn

We prepare to say goodbye

If we haven't been for the last 10 or so weeks, right now we are preparing to say goodbye. I heard a whisper in the second before my Dr. placed the ultrasound wand on my belly this afternoon, "she is with Me." I saw her tiny body on the screen and noticed how still she seemed. I held my breath, my heart pounding as we looked for her heart beat. None. She is at rest with her Creator. Soon I will see my beautiful daughter's face. To the world's standards, her body will be very broken. But to God's standards, we will see beauty because she has lived her purpose: to point in honor to her Creator. Pray that my body will have the strength to let my heart treasure each moment we get with her body. To God be the glory!